Pair and a Spare


JulieK and I agreed to swap a pair of hand-knit socks for quilted, summer placemats. Julie requested red socks, and I had two choices in my stash.

The Wisdom Yarns (Marathon Socks - Los Angeles) yarn had an unwelcome surprise in the middle of the skein. I finished one sock, and knit its mate up to the toe when the yarn suddenly was off-white. I pulled and pulled and pulled for nearly seven yards. I didn't know what other surprises the skein held for me, so I ripped out the toe on the first sock and knit a white one on each.


Fortunately Julie has small feet because, using the remaining yarn, I was able to knit a pair of short-cuffed socks for her, too, resulting in a pair and a spare. I hope Julie enjoys wearing these socks.

Comments

  1. I can guarantee that she loves her socks!!! They are beautiful, and you should have just left the little white place, it would have been just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never encountered that before. Someone in quality control must have been asleep the day that skein was dyed. I like the white toes, though. Nice save!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you made these cuff down and great idea to fix the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute. I actually like how the toes came out with the light color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great socks. And, the monster socks... wow how cool. I keep forgetting I want a pair or two of short socks... and just knit like crazy and then have nearly knee highs... not really but not as short as I would like. Next pair maybe! Good idea on the "gold" toes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea, Nancy!!

    By the way, thank you for the comments you provide to my students. My little MartytheSmarty talked about you this morning during class. She's been very touched by your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two pairs of socks...I bet she'll be thrilled! That is so funny about the off white yarn turning up like that. Very strange...but the results are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so smart to work through the white issue and make toes out of them!!! Love the socks. I dare say she got the better end of the deal!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.