Prairie Labyrinth

Sheila asked me last week if I wanted to walk a prairie labyrinth with her before my up-coming surgery, and yesterday was the day we selected for our outing. I had no idea my community even had a labyrinth and had never been to one, so this was a unique opportunity. Labyrinths can be located by using this online tool.

Several years ago, Sheila's husband helped a friend plan and create the labyrinth, using natural elements, and it is open to the public. At first glance, it appears to be just another rock-strewn hillside, but once on the path, the pattern is clearly seen.

It contained four distinct sections with the path outlined with white, red, black, and brown rocks in those areas.
Native plants dotted the paths: some tiny like this cluster of flowers, the blooms smaller than a pencil eraser and others imposing yuccas with last year's seed pods attached to dried stalks.
Many of the sandstone rocks had lichen in interesting shapes and several colors.

The view surrounding the labyrinth was expansive and breath-taking.

As we sat in the center of the labyrinth, Sheila and I shared thoughts and observations. I would like to return another day with a notebook to jot down some of those thoughts.


I would definitely take something to leave in the center for others to ponder. 

Thanks, Sheila for sharing this special place with me. 


Comments

  1. I could sit there for hours taking in that view and contemplating the awesomeness of the one who created it.

    When is your surgery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately some of these places are associated with new age and etc. but each person can interpret it for themselves. Ditto on the question of the surgery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to just reacquaint yourself with yourself. I think we all need that at times just to recharge our batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the surgery goes very well for you and a quick recovery. I did not know this existed in Wyoming. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! And I see warmer weather still has not made it up to you... you are both wearing jackets.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been reading your blog and not commenting like I should. Just let me say I enjoy every post you write! I was very concerned when I saw the word "surgery" so wanted to let you know you are in my prayers. Hope it goes well and you have a quick recovery. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love labyrinths, and this one has a beautiful view!

    My best wishes for a successful surgery. Whatever it is, I hope it's minimal and your recovery is swift. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the coolest post. I am going to find a labrynth near me. Maybe I'll make one for my garden. Im excited

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.